- Welcome Summer 2018
- Add/Drop Information
- Textbook Information
- Certification/Proof of Enrollment
- Classes & Planner
- GPA Calculator
- Post Secondary Enrollment (PSEO)
- Reentry, Returning Students
- Transfer Credit Evaluation
- U.S. Diversity and International Perspectives
- Faculty & Staff
- Academic Calendars
- Catalog & Degree Programs
- Degree Audits
- Distance Education
- Enrollment Statistics
- Graduation & Commencement
- Tuition & Fees
- Veterans Center
- Our Mission
- Contact Us
In August 2008, the federal "Higher Education Act" was reauthorized by the passage of the "Higher Education Opportunity Act" (HEOA). A key feature of the act, Section 133, deals with the requirement for institutions to provide textbook information as part of its online or printed schedule of classes.
As of July 1, 2010, Iowa State University is required to make available to students textbook information for all courses, to include both ISBN numbers and pricing information. This information must be offered as part of Iowa State University's online class schedule, and must be viewable by students in advance of registration for any given academic term.
Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008
SECTION 133 TEXTBOOK INFORMATION
(d) Provision of ISBN College Textbook Information in Course Schedules- To the maximum extent practicable, each institution of higher education receiving Federal financial assistance shall:
(1) disclose, on the institution's Internet course schedule and in a manner of the institution's choosing, the International Standard Book Number and retail price information of required and recommended college textbooks and supplemental materials for each course listed in the institution's course schedule used for preregistration and registration purposes, except that:
(A) if the International Standard Book Number is not available for such college textbook or supplemental material, then the institution shall include in the Internet course schedule the author, title, publisher, and copyright date for such college textbook or supplemental material; and
(B) if the institution determines that the disclosure of the information described in this subsection is not practicable for a college textbook or supplemental material, then the institution shall so indicate by placing the designation `To Be Determined' in lieu of the information required under this subsection; and
(2) if applicable, include on the institution's written course schedule a notice that textbook information is available on the institution's Internet course schedule, and the Internet address for such schedule.
Compliance Implementation at Iowa State University
To enable compliance with HEOA 2008 Section 133, the Registrar's Office has partnered with the University Book Store to create new functionality for the Online Schedule of Classes whereby students will have viewing access to the required textbook information.
Beginning July 1, 2010, the Online Schedule of Classes contained textbook requirements with associated ISBN and pricing information directly from the University Book Store textbook ordering system.
A link is available to students as they register for each class section. After clicking on the link information for the textbook is available including the ISBN number as will University Book Store pricing information.