Systems Access Procedures

Steps for Requesting ISUAS/ADIN Access

  1. If not installed, contact your college or departmental ITS staff (or the Solution Center at 4-4000) to have the TN3270 software installed.
  2. The departmental administrative specialist or the departmental advising coordinator should request ISUAS/ADIN access (Admissions, Grad College, Student Records, etc.) for departmental or college IT staff by using the service request form:
  3. For degree audits and ereports contact the following:

a. If a staff or faculty member only needs degree audit access, contact Karen Terpstra:
b. Adviser updates (i.e. user deck):
c. eReports access and updates:
d. For reports related to grade processing or course/class lists, contact Denise Timberland: