Name and Gender Marker Change Policies

Name Change Policy

While most student information changes can be made through AccessPlus, name changes are processed via the Office of the Registrar in 214 Enrollment Services Center either in person, by mail, or by fax at 515-294-1088.

Two of the following forms of identification with the students' new name must be provided:
Passport, driver’s license, social security card, military ID, marriage certificate, any legal document,
green card.

Remember, when changing your name, you will also need to update your ISU Card. If you are a university employee, you will need to also contact Human Resources.

Also see: The Iowa Guide to Changing Legal Identity Documents: A Handbook and Roadmap for Transgender Individuals Interested in Changing Their Legal Name and Gender on Government and Personal Records and Accounts.

Name Change Policy (when legal documentation doesn't exist)

At present, Iowa State University's student information system (SIS) only allows for one name per student, which is the student's "legal" name. However, we understand and respect that not all students identify with their legal name.

If a student does not have the official legal documentation required in the standard Name Change Policy mentioned above (e.g., passport, driver’s license, social security card, etc.) to support changing their legal name, the Office of the Registrar will still process the name change; however, the student will be required to:

1) Provide a photo ID; and
2) Complete an Affidavit of Name Change for the purposes of:

a. Providing Iowa State University with a signed document that identifies the student's desire with regard to name; and
b. Declaring that he/she/zie has "no intention of defrauding any person or escaping any incurred obligation."

The Affidavit of Name Change must be signed by the student in the presence of a Notary Public. The Office of the Registrar will provide the Notary Public at no charge, as they have several on staff.

Given that the Office of the Registrar will actually change the student's "legal" name in the student information system, students who are receiving any form of federal financial aid are strongly encouraged to check with the Office of Student Financial Aid before making a legal name change to fully understand any possible financial aid ramifications associated with this action. Additionally, international students are required to check with the International Students and Scholars Office to determine how this change could impact their passport, visa, etc.

Students may email, call, or stop in to request a name change with the following Office of the Registrar staff:

Amita Dayal
Linda Dunn
Kara Schoepfer
Jennifer Suchan

A student may ask to speak with one of the aforementioned staff members at the reception desk in room 214 of the Enrollment Services Center. There is no need for a student to reveal the nature/topic of the conversation to the person at the reception desk, if he/she/zie does not wish to do so.

Gender Marker Change Policy (when legal documentation doesn't exist)

Iowa State University understands and respects that a student's gender identity and expression are fluid, and as such, that he/she/zie may wish to change his/her/hir gender marker in the student information system (SIS). At present, Iowa State's SIS only allows for two options when it comes to gender identity or expression (i.e., male and female). We recognize that these two options are not all-encompassing, as gender identity and expression exists on a continuum. However, we are pleased to share that Iowa State will be implementing a new SIS in the near future, and it is anticipated that additional gender markers will be made available upon implementation.

When receiving a request to change a student's gender marker to align with how the student identifies, the Office of the Registrar will do so without requiring any medical or legal documentation. We know that requiring such documentation can, at times, be an impossible burden on students, and we want to do all we can to fully recognize and acknowledge students. Even though such documentation will not be required, we do require that that the change of gender marker be made in writing, and with an official signature, to ensure we have an audit trail of all changes to the student's record.