Cancel or Withdraw

Canceling Your Registration

Canceling your registration means you are dropping ALL your courses before the first day of the term. Other deadlines apply for some courses such as second half term courses.

If you have registered and will not attend classes, you must CANCEL your registration at least one day prior to the first meeting date of your earliest course to avoid tuition assessment. Your course meeting dates are listed on your AccessPlus class schedule.

The tuition adjustment schedule lists the last day to cancel registration to receive 100% tuition & fee adjustment for standard sessions. NOTE: Contact the Office of the Registrar Tuition and Fees Area for cancel dates for non-standard Summer Sessions.

You must notify Iowa State University of your intent to cancel your registration. To process a cancellation, download the form in pdf format and follow the instructions on the form; go to 10 Enrollment Services Center; or email; or fax signed form to 515-294-2034.

Other offices to contact (if applicable)

  • Office of Student Financial Aid: 0210 Beardshear Hall, Ames, IA 50011-2028
    Phone: 515-294-2223, or email:
  • Department of Residence: 2419 Friley Hall, Ames, IA 50012
    Phone: 515-294-2900, or email:
  • Veterans Center: 3578 Memorial Union, Ames, IA 50011-2011
    Phone: 515-294-9801, or email:

You are subject to the policies and agreements related to textbook purchases, CyCash, etc.

Withdrawing From the University

Withdrawing from the university means that you are dropping ALL your classes on or after the first day of the term.

To withdraw, you must contact your adviser or major professor to initiate the withdrawal process. Your tuition adjustment is subject to the tuition adjustment schedule and is based on the date you begin the withdrawal process. See the tuition adjustment schedule. You will also need to complete a Withdrawal Form.

  • Financial Aid: If you withdraw during a term, make sure you know how your financial aid will be affected. Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid, 0210 Beardshear Hall, Ames, IA 50011-2028, or call: 800-478-2998 or 515-294-2223, or email:
  •  Withdrawal from the university does not terminate your housing accommodations. Whether you live in university housing, a fraternity or sorority, or off campus, you must abide by the conditions of your housing contract. If you have a contract for university housing, contact:
    Department of Residence, 2419 Friley Hall, Ames, IA 50011, or call: 515-294-2900, or email:

Tuition and Fee Appeals

If you are withdrawing due to extenuating circumstances, you can also ask the Office of the Registrar for a Tuition and Fees Appeal Form. This process will require a statement of circumstances from the student (description of the circumstances that led to a need to withdraw, in the students own words), and a statement from a medical professional with dates and any other information/documentation that supports the need for withdrawal.
Information that may be useful include date of diagnosis, date treatment was initiated, and if this is an ongoing condition, what triggered the need for withdrawal.

It is important to note that the Tuition and Fee Appeal Form is submitted separately from a request for late withdrawal. Information submitted for withdrawal will not be submitted for the tuition and fee process by the institution. It is the student's responsibility to submit information for both of these processes separately.

The Office of the Registrar receives the Tuition and Fee Appeal, and will review and make determinations for instances beyond the control of the student. No tuition and fee appeals will be considered until a student is officially withdrawn from the university. If you are eligible, a prorated refund of tuition will be processed. For more information, see the tuition adjustment schedule. If you have questions about this process, please contact the Tuition and Fees staff in the Office of the Registrar at 515-294-2331.