Reentering or Returning International Students

Important: Iowa State is implementing Workday Student as its new student information system.

The Reentry process will continue as indicated below until May 1, 2024.

  • Updates on the new process will be provided on this webpage prior to May 1.


Download the Undergraduate Rentry Form in pdf. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Remember to sign the form.

Inquiries should be directed to the Office of the Registrar, Tuition and Fees, 10 Enrollment Services Center, Ames, Iowa 50011-2049 USA Tel. 515 294-2331, fax: 515 294-2034, e-mail

The university requires nonimmigrant international undergraduates to complete the Undergraduate Reentry Form after an absence of one semester or more (not including summers). The form should be completed and returned to 10 Enrollment Services Center well in advance of the opening of the term for which reentry is sought. Students who have previously attended Iowa State only as nondegree undergraduates and who now seek to earn an undergraduate degree should complete an undergraduate application instead of this form.

International students with bachelor’s degrees
Students with bachelor’s degrees who wish to take supporting graduate-level courses prior to applying for graduate degree admission should not complete this form, but should complete the nondegree graduate application for admission.

International students who have attended another school
Students who have attended another college or university since their last enrollment at Iowa State must have official transcript(s) of all coursework attempted sent to the Office of Admissions, 100 Enrollment Services Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-2011. The Office of Admissions will complete a transfer credit evaluation. For questions concerning transfer credits, contact the Office of Admissions
at 1-800-262-3810.

Outstanding balances
All money owed to the university must be paid before permission to register for courses will be given.

Change of curriculum
The Office of the Registrar will refer the reentry form to the college to which a student plans to enroll if the student desires to change curriculum.

GPA below 2.00
The Office of the Registrar will refer the reentry form to the college to which a student plans to enroll if the student has a previous Iowa State University cumulative grade point average below 2.00, or since leaving Iowa State, has completed additional college study with less than a 2.00 grade point average.

Academic/disciplinary reinstatement process
Students who have been dropped from enrollment at Iowa State for unsatisfactory academic progress or were not otherwise in good standing must obtain reinstatement by the Academic Standards Committee to the college into which they wish to return.

1. Students may not be reinstated until at least one term has elapsed since they were academically dismissed. The summer session is not considered as one term out of school.

2. A student who has been dismissed from enrollment two or more times is not eligible for reinstatement until at least two academic semesters have elapsed since the last academic dismissal.

3. Students who have been dismissed by a college and subsequently reinstated by another college cannot transfer back unless the Academic Standards Committee of the original college grants permission. This procedure must be followed regardless of the student’s current academic standing.

4. Students must submit a petition to the Academic Standards Committee of the college in which they wish to enroll at least 45 days before the beginning of the term. This need not be the college from which the student was dismissed. (Students who have been dropped twice and wish to return to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences must submit their petition at least 70 days before the beginning of the term.)

5. Reinstated students will return on temporary enrollment status.

Students who have been dropped from enrollment at Iowa State for disciplinary reasons must contact the Dean of Students Office at 515 294-1020.

Issuance of Forms I-20 or DS-2019
International Students must also complete the Returning to ISU electronic form for the International Students and Scholars Office in order to receive their new I-20 or DS- 2019. The form can be found under the F-1 or J-1 Student Services tab in Cystart at If you have questions or concerns in regards to your documents, please contact the International Students and Scholars Office at 515-294-1120 or

Schedule of classes
Once you have received notification that your reentry has been approved, you may contact your college office regarding your schedule of classes.

For more detail about the policy, see the reentry policy in the current catalog.