Name and Sex Marker Change Policies

Name and Sex Marker Change Policies

While most student information changes can be made through AccessPlus, name and sex marker changes are processed via the Office of the Registrar in 010 Enrollment Services Center either in person, by mail, or by fax at 515-294-1088.

Places where name and/or sex marker changes will not take effect are:

  • Canvas (Note. The Office of the Registrar is working to facilitate this)
  • Course management systems not licensed by Iowa State
  • Off-line records (e.g., Printed class rosters, paper files, etc.)
  • University Human Resources

Students may request either change with the following staff in the Office of the Registrar:

Amita DayalLinda DunnMike GreenJennifer SuchanDenise Timberland
(515) 294-1843(515) 294-1840(515) 294-1840(515) 294-8381(515) 294-1840

Name Change Policy

At present, Iowa State University's student information system (SIS) only allows for one name per students, and it is classified in the SIS as the student's "legal name." However, we understand and respect that not all students identify with their legal name.

Given that the Office of the Registrar will actually change the student's "legal name" in the SIS, students who are receiving any form of federal financial aid are strongly encouraged to check with the Office of Student Financial Aid before making a name change to fully understand any possible financial aid ramifications associated with this action. Additionally, international students should check with the International Students and Scholars Office to determine how this change could impact their passport, visa, etc.

When changing your name, you will also need to update your ISU Card through the ISU Card Office, which is located in 0530 Beardshear Hall. This is free of charge. More information about the ISU Card Office is available on their website:

Student employees, staff, and faculty will also need to contact University Human Resources, which is located in 3810 Beardshear Hall. More information about University Human Resources is available on their website:

To make your request

When legal documentation exists:

Two of the following forms of identification with the requestor's new name must be provided:

  • Passport
  • Driver's license
  • Birth certificate
  • Social security card
  • Green card
  • Military ID
  • Marriage certificate
  • Any other legal document

When legal documentation doesn't exist*:

The following document must be provided:

*This process may only be utilized for a situation in which legal documentation does not exist; it is not to be used to remedy situations in which documentation exists, but is not immediately in the requestor's possession.

Sex Marker Change Policy

At present, Iowa State University's SIS only allows for two options when it comes to sex marker (i.e., Male or Female). We also recognize that a two-option list is not as inclusive as it should be. Please know that we are actively working to rectify this issue and hope for a resolution in the near future.

When receiving a request to change a student's sex marker, the Office of the Registrar will do so without requiring any medical or legal documentation.

To request a sex marker change:

The following must be provided: